If you have damaged or missing teeth, your dentist may recommend restoring your teeth to their full, natural function with crowns and bridges. Dental crowns provide support and protection for a damaged tooth while bridges fill the space left by a missing tooth. Bridges are held in place by crowns placed over the adjacent teeth or dental implants.
When considering restoration with dental crowns and bridges, you may have some of the following questions and concerns:
- When is a dental crown used? A crown is placed to protect your natural tooth and support its structure when it has been damaged by decay, disease or trauma. A dental crown will always be put in place after root canal treatment to strengthen and protect your natural tooth.
- Why do I need a bridge? A bridge fills the space left by several missing teeth. Bridges resolve the cosmetic problem and restore function. Without a bridge, your surrounding teeth will shift into the empty space and cause your teeth to become misaligned, leading to additional dental problems.
- Will people be able to tell if I have a dental crown or bridge? Today’s crowns and bridges are made with natural-looking composite materials that make them virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
- How long does it take to place crowns and bridges? Both kinds of restorations require the same type of preparation and can usually be placed in two or three appointments.
- How do I care for my crowns and bridges? It is important to maintain excellent oral hygiene, making sure to brush and floss twice a day. Avoid biting on hard foods like nuts and candy that can potentially fracture the restoration.
Advances in dental technology and in the materials used for creating crowns and bridges has dramatically improved in recent years. With proper care, you can expect these restorations to last for 15 or more years. Consult with your dentist for additional questions you may have about crowns and bridges and how they can help restore your healthy, natural smile.
If you need a dentist in Huntington Beach, contact us today